No, this is not an(other) attempt to challenge Gartner, the analyst firm, in making quadrants about vendors in the Master Data Management (MDM) realm.
This an attempt to highlight some capabilities of Multi-Domain MDM solutions here focusing on party and product master data and the sell-side and the buy-side of MDM as discussed some years ago in the post Sell-side vs Buy-side Master Data Quality.
A simple quadrant will look like this:
- The upper right corner is where MDM started, being with solutions back then called Customer Data Integration (CDI).
- The Product Information Management (PIM) side is quite diverse and depending on the industry vertical where implemented:
- Retailers and distributors have their challenges with sometimes high numbers of products that goes in and comes out as the same but with data reflecting different viewing points.
- Manufacturers have other issues managing raw materials, semi-finished products, finish products and products and services used to facilitate the processes.
- Everyone have supplies.
- The supplier master data management has more or less also been part of the PIM space but looks more like customer master data and should be part of a party master data discipline also embracing other party roles as employee.
Also, this quadrant is by the way without other important domains as location (as discussed in the post Bringing the Location to Multi-Domain MDM) and asset (as discussed in the post Where is the Asset?)