As reported in the post Counting MDM Licenses there is movement in the MDM landscape when it comes to the offerings for the various use cases we have been working with the last 15 years and those we will be working with in the future.
Borrowing from the Gartner lingo, we can sketch the MDM use case overview this way:
- Party MDM, meaning handling master data about persons and companies interacting with your company. Their role may be as employee, partner, supplier/vendor and customer. With the customer role we can make a distinction between:
- MDM of B2C (Business-to-Consumer) customer data, meaning handling master data about persons in their private roles as consumers, citizens, patients, students and more. This may also cover how persons are part of a household.
- MDM of B2B (Business-to-Business) customer data, meaning handling master data about organizations with a customer role in your company. This may also cover the hierarchy these organizations form (typically company family trees) and the persons who are your contacts at these organizations.
- Product MDM, meaning handling data about product models and their item variants as well as each instance of a product as an asset. This can be divided into:
- MDM of buy-side product data covering the procurement and Supply Chain Management (SCM) view of products going into your company from suppliers.
- MDM of sell-side product data covering the sales and marketing view of products being sold directly to customers or through partners.
- Multidomain MDM being combining product and party master data possibly with other domains as locations, general ledger accounts and specific master data domains in your industry.
- Multivector MDM being a special Gartner term meaning use case split into multiple domains (as mentioned above), multiple industries, operational/analytical usage scenarios, organizational structures and implementation styles (registry, consolidation, coexistence, centralized).
- Multienterprise MDM being handling master data in collaboration with your business partners as told in this post about Multienterprise MDM.
In the latest Gartner MDM quadrant, the status of the use cases is:
- Customer MDM and Product MDM continue to climb the Slope of Enlightenment toward the Plateau of Productivity in Gartner’s Hype Cycle for Information Governance and Master Data Management.
- Multidomain MDM solutions are sliding toward the bottom of the Trough of Disillusionment, while Multivector MDM solutions continue their climb toward the Peak of Inflated Expectations in the Hype Cycle.
- Multienterprise MDM is near the Peak of Inflated Expectations on the Hype Cycle as well as mentioned in the post MDM Hype Cycle, GDSN, Data Quality, Multienterprise MDM and Product Data Syndication. In the Gartner MDM quadrant 2018 multienterprise MDM was only mentioned as a strength at one of the included vendors – Enterworks.
Stay tuned on this blog for more news about Multienterprise MDM as how it looks like from standing on the peak.