Please find below a mind map with some of the data elements that are considered to be master data.
The map is in no way exhaustive and if you feel some more very important and common data elements should be there, please comment.
The data elements are grouped within the most common master data domains being party master data, product master data and location master data.
Some of the data elements have previously been examined in posts on this blog. This include:
- Product classifications as GPC, ETIM, eClass, Harmonized System (HS) and UNSPSC in the post Five Product Classification Standards.
- Product identification codes as GTIN, EAN and UPC in the post Visiting the Product Information Castle.
- Duns-Number, SIREN and registration numbers in the post Single Company View.
- SIC and NACE codes in the post The World of Reference Data.
- ZIP, PLZ and PIN in the post Some Kinds of Reference Data.
The mind map has a selection of flags around where master data are geographically dependent. Again, this is not exhaustive. If you have examples of diversities within master data, please also comment.