How do you select a Master Data Management (MDM) vendor? There is of course the RFP way of scoring vendors against a bunch of carefully specified requirements within data model, user interface, architecture and so on. But as I have seen it, maybe the multi-domain way is much more used.
The multi-domain MDM vendor selection process has three basic parameters:
- Distance between locations
- Chemistry between parties
- Price of products
Distance between locations:
Here you measure four numbers:
- N1 = Northern UTM geocode of buyers head quarter
- E1 = Eastern UTM geocode of buyers head quarter
- N2 = Northern UTM geocode of vendors head quarter or major regional office
- E2 = Eastern UTM geocode of vendors head quarter or major regional office
Then using the Pythagorean Theorem you get:
(You could make up the distance on Google Maps as well, but that doesn’t look very scientific).
Chemistry between parties:
Here you, at the meetings between the buying team and the vendor team, measure the occurrence of these sentences:
- Could you repeat that question please?
- Could you repeat that answer please?
(Observe that there may be a correlation with distance in cases where distance calls for the use of a webex for a meeting).
Price of products:
I guess everyone knows how to sum up euros/dollars/pounds/whatever.