“Data Quality tool vendors describe their products as if they will solve every possible data quality challenge around once and for all”.
Some years ago I was involved in making the English text for a description of a data quality vendor and our products. Here is the text:
“With activities in Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, and France, [our company] is one of the leading data quality experts in Europe. We provide ready-made solutions, products, and services that increase your profits by protecting and improving your company’s customer, address, supplier and product data.
[Our company] offers state-of-the-art solutions for all of the following tasks:
- Find, match, and eliminate duplicates
- Restructure customer, supplier, and product databases
- Compare with major reference data suppliers in order to correct incorrect data records
- Enrich existing data with missing information
- Find customers when searching within CRM and ERP systems
- Integrate Data Quality components in SOA environments
- Create a Master Data Hub”
Now, I don’t think we promised to boil the ocean here.
Have you stumbled upon a description on web-sites, white papers, product sheets or so where the vendor tells you that every data quality problem will be eliminated when you buy the tool?