A sentiment repeated again and again related to Data (Information) Quality improvement goes like this:
“It’s a myth that Data Quality improvement is all about technology”.
In fact you see the same related to a lot of other disciplines as:
- “It’s a myth that Master Data Management is all about technology”.
- “It’s a myth that Business Intelligence is all about technology”.
- “It’s a myth that Customer Relationship Management is all about technology”.
I have a problem with that: I have never heard anyone say that DQ/MDM/BI/CRM… is all about technology and I have never seen anyone writing so.
When I make the above remark the reaction is almost always this:
“Of course not, but I have seen a lot of projects carried out as if they were all about technology – and of course they failed”.
- Poor project management or
- Bad balance between business and IT involvement or
- Immature technology alienating business users.