Gartner, the analyst firm, defines five different types of digital technology platforms:
- Information system platform — Supports the back office operations such as ERP, CRM, PIM and other core systems with associated middleware and development capabilities.
- Customer experience platform — Contains the main customer-facing elements, such as customer and citizen portals, multichannel commerce, and customer apps.
- Analytics and intelligence platform — Contains information management and analytical capabilities. Data management programs and analytical applications fuel data-driven decision making, and algorithms automate discovery and action.
- IoT platform — Connects physical assets for monitoring, optimization, control and monetization.
- Business ecosystem platform — Supports the creation of, and connection to, external ecosystems, marketplaces and communities.
As a vendor of a modern data management platform, you will probably identify yourself primarily within one of these five types.
At Product Data Lake we are first and foremost a business ecosystem platform, being a cloud service for sharing product data in the business ecosystems of manufacturers, distributors, merchants and the end users of product information. As such, we are proud to be a part of the The Rise of Business Ecosystems in Data Management.
Of course, there are ties to the other types of digital technology platforms as well. As explained in the post Adding Things to Product Data Lake, the ecosystem approach is necessary to identify and track physical assets. Analytics will encompass data, as for example product data, in the business ecosystem. Customer experience in multichannel commerce when it comes to completeness of product information will require an effective cross company digital technology platform.
An external focused business ecosystem platform will have to be easily connected to the various internal focused information system platforms at trading partners. In our case, this is What a PIM-2-PIM Solution Looks Like.