During my professional work and not at least when following the data management talk on social media I often stumble upon sayings as:
- IT should not drive a CRM / MDM / PIM / XXX project. The business should do that.
- IT should not be responsible for data quality. The business should be that.
I disagree with that. Not that the business should not do and be those things. But because IT should be a part of the business.
I have personally always disliked the concept of dividing a company into IT and the business. It is a concept practically only used by the IT (and IT focused consulting) side. In my eyes, IT is part of the business just as much as marketing, sales, accounting and all the other departmental units.
With the raise of digitalization the distinction between IT and the business becomes absolutely ridiculous – not to say dangerous.
We need business minded IT people and IT savvy business people to drive digitilization and take responsibility of data quality.
- IT = Information Technology
- CRM = Customer Relationship Management
- MDM = Master Data Management
- PIM = Product Information Management