Some equivalence that comes to my mind is:
- Parenting must be done by everyone who has children; you are not supposed to have an education in education before being parents. The same about data. You are not supposed be a data quality expert before working with data; some common sense will bring you a long way.
- Some parenting experts never had their own children. I have seen the same with data quality experts too.
- Many people are more knowledgeable about how other people should raise children than about raising their own children. Same same with data quality.
- While we internally in the family may have some noise when parenting we keep that internally and keep up appearances to the outside. I think everyone have seen the same with data quality.
- There may be different styles in parenting going from “because I said so” to talking about it. The same is true around data quality improvement efforts.
- We do see more and more regulatory around parenting like it in my country now is forbidden to slap your kids. I think it should be forbidden to slap your naughty data too.